"Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near."
Revelation 1:3
After an intriguing study of the Life of Moses last year, I undoubtedly committed to another year of studying with BSF. Last year, I just wanted to know God's truth. I was searching for answers. This year, I continued on my quest. Matthew 7:8 promises, "for everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks the door will be opened." I want to know who this God of the Bible is. I believe in him, but who is he? Who does he say he is and what does he promise? And how can I be a receiver of that promise? So on and so on...
I soon learned that we would be studying the book of Revelation. As an enthusiastic learner, I was ecstatic to learn such a rich book of the bible but also overwhelmed by the harshness of it all. All and all, I was intrigued to dive in but hesitant and overwhelmed at the same time. Yet, the book of Revelations tarts with a promise that I will be blessed if I partake on this adventure and take heart His words. And as I sit back, now at the end of our study, in the month of May, I'm honored to say that God's promise is true. I am blessed. I am blessed indeed.
My chicken scratch on my first lesson packet says boldly, "This year: I want to know God as Redeemer." Sequentially, the following lesson challenged us by asking:
What will you ask God to do as you study Revelation? Though you came intrigued, do you desire
to leave transformed? Will you ask God for understanding and His perspective on the world and
your life? The study will be challenging and worth it.
I answered, "I desire to be redeemed, renewed and set free!"
Lord Jesus, thank you for listening and hearing my prayer! The beauty of your word is that it is THE story of Redemption. I learned last year in the life of Moses the promises God made to his chosen people. You fullfilled it in Jesus! Now, this year you revealed to me that you will fulfill it for eternity. Amen!
So what are some of the big takeaways I took from BSF this year?
1. My biggest sin: pride. I was awestruck by the constant and knee bending praise in heaven by all people, elders, angels, etc. I finally saw God (and Jesus) as THE ONE TRUE KING. I'm no longer too prideful to bend my knee, to praise him, and worship him in all aspects of my life. Repentance for me looks like bowing my knee to God alone as the one true king.
2. God is patient. God is so patient he offers time and time again opportunities to ALL people to repent and believe, even to the last words in the book of revelation. Knowing that God is patient, I too can be patient in my boldness of sharing the truth and having confidence that God is patient even in saving the ones I love. He gives them time. I too can rest in the confidence that God works in time.
3. The time is near. God's old testament prophecies were fulfilled in Jesus. We can therefore be confident that he too will fulfill his promises in the end of times. God's word is confirmed and can be trustworthy.
4. The time is near for ALL people. God has brought me to my knees in prayer, begging for the eyes of my loved ones to see the truth. I can't judge whom is and whom is not saved. I can only pray for all as even us believers must endure to the end. I can also speak truth in light of the gospel (neither adding to it or taking away from it) and trust that God will work in others.
5. The time is near and therefore I have a purpose. My purpose is to love others, pray for eyes to be opened and speak boldly the truth about Jesus. As a woman, I've been swayed too often by "what I should do with my life?" Do I go to work? Do I stay at home with my kids? Do I try and make both work? Should I take a back seat and let my husband lead our family spiritually? What should I do with my life?!? But here it is, whether I am making my home, cooking food, paying bills, going to work outside the home, having coffee with friends, working from home, working a full time job...I should do everything in light of eternity! I now approach each day on bended knee praying for discernment into the heart of my kids and boldness to open the eyes of my family and friends. I also now know that to teach the truths of the gospel is THE most valuable thing I can give my kids and loved ones. Romans 1:16 reminds me not to be ashamed of the gospel whether I am training my children or talking with my husband or having coffee with my mother in law, "because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes."
I am encouraged to fix my eyes on Jesus. I am bombarded daily by media, people, and culture that does not align with the truths of God's word. I must arm myself with the knowledge of his word and renew my mind daily. Especially as a mother who wants to full the minds of my children with truth, I can not give what I do not have. Therefore I must remember to, "not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of my mind. Then I will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." (Romans 12:2)
God's kingdom is being built in eternity for eternity but we are to pray that his kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven. It's about building God's kingdom here on earth while we wait for it to manifest in the new heaven. My job is kingdom work!
6. God commands us to repent! Repent and believe! Repent and believe! In this world it's not me against other people (my children, husband, etc.) but me against Satan and sin. In enduring I must choose to repent and believe and endure in this pattern till my end either in death or Jesus' second coming. It sounds exhausting...but he gives me hope. The prophecies of God's kingdom gives me hope that one day there will no longer be sin! I will no longer have to repent. It will be all redeemed! We will be victorious! Amen!
7. God has awakened my heart that I do not love others well. I am now praying about what that looks like in my life.
God, you have revealed that I do not love people well. I confess this is a sin of mine and I ask for your forgiveness. Thank you that in your death and resurrection you have forgiven me and your grace has covered me with the gift of your righteousness. Thank you! I learned this year that biblical truth without love for you or others is to miss the truth and that to withhold the truth is not love either. God, as we enter the summer, please reveal to me how I can spend my time next year serving your kingdom here on earth. Amen!
8. I am convicted of complacency. I am "poor in prayer, in worship, in patience, and compassion. Poor in love, forgiveness of others and holiness...Will you ask Him to lead you to specific repentance and renew your mind to recognize what really matters." (Lesson 7)
Lord Jesus, you have shown me what really matters. I have been complacent. Please forgive me. You and you alone matter most. Please help me not to forget this as my days get weary nor to become complacent yet again. May your character and promises be my source of strength. Amen!
9. What I learned about heaven...Heaven is where God dwells. It is beautiful and brilliant, only fit for a regal God. We will be completely satisfied in him. Also, there will be no misunderstanding in heaven. We will be fully known and fully know Jesus in heaven. We will also learn as we meet fellow Christians and maybe even find out whom we are to thank for being bold to share with us the good news.
10. God is forthcoming and therefore just. He tells us everything- in detail and upfront- in scripture about what is to come (either in death or when he returns). He hides nothing from us! There are only two groups of people, saved sinners and unsaved sinners. He tells us that those who do not repent and believe will not be among the righteous who are saved. It is solely by grace that we are saved. It is a gift. Therefore, we who believe have nothing to fear.
11. Satan forms a triumvirate of evil amongst the dragon, the beast from the sea, and the beast from the earth. Suggestion says that 777 is a number of completion and perfection while that of Satan's beast falls short at 666. Many believers will be killed in the end of time as Satan is given power to rule. This power is God's power which is given to him and therefore is also limited by God. God still has control over all things. The work of Satan is to frighten and deceive. God warns us not to be deceived! On another note, during the millennium when Satan is locked up we will still have rebellion in our own heart. We will not be able to blame Satan.
12. My prayers can recognize the character of God and can communicate hope for those who are struggling.
13. The depth of God's love is equivalent to the depth of God's wrath. Lord Jesus, I'm excited to study the book of John next year. I truly want to know and embrace the depth of your love or me. May you prepare my heart to hear your truth about your love for me and others. Amen!
14. To be ready for Jesus' return means to repent of sin and believe in Jesus for salvation. I'm I excited to see Jesus come again? Hallelujah!
I could go on and on, but I will leave it at those main lessons I've learned. I'm truly blessed and can't wait to study the book of John next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment