Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A Lesson in Grace

Dearest Isaiah,
Today, I woke and begged God to show up. We are going on the second week of daddy being out of town for work and in my exhaustion I tend to loose my patience and anger. I asked for the Holy Spirit to fill me with power hoping to be a kind and patient mother with a loving tone all throughout the day because that's what you need. Atlas, what I thought you needed. So here is what happened...

Today, I was on you all day long, "Isaiah, don't stand on Audrey's hands. Isaiah, don't sit on your sister. Isaiah, don't hurt Audrey again...yet again...yet again." You may do this here and there but this was unusual behavior. I couldn't figure it out...did you want attention? Where you overtired? Where you starting to have anger towards your sister? As the night was winding down I remembered what daddy challenged you with before he left. He said, "If you are to be King while I'm gone you need to take care of your sister and mother. You treat them like princesses. Will you do that?" God brought this to mind and the fact that no, you did not follow through on your promise therefore I shouldn't let you sleep in my bed tonight as King. You did not act like King all day so why should I treat you like King at night? But then we sat down to read the Bible, all snuggled up, and me feeling horrible for how I've been riding you all day and God brought a word to mind: G-R-A-C-E. We read the story of Jesus dying on the cross and I realized he wanted you to not just hear about God's forgiveness but that you needed to experience grace in your own life. "Isaiah, grace is giving someone something they don't deserve. Should I give you grace tonight? You don't deserve to sleep in my bed tonight as King but should I extend you grace and let you?" With head bowed low and a trite spirit you mumbled, "yeah."


Isaiah I don't know if you will remember this so here I am writing this down. Today God didn't show up in the way that I asked but instead revealed himself to both of us in such a tangible way. A way that I believe he was ministering to your heart.

I'm glad that we got to end the night reconciled by God's grace.

May you have many more encounters with God and his grace in the years to come.

I love you dearly.

~Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment