We are in week 7 of the study of Romans and it has already been life changing...
Paul addresses that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. ALL! He further continues to drive this point home be subdividing humans into 3 fallen categories: unbelieving sinners full of evil and wickedness, unbelieving moral people who judge others and therefore see themselves as better than others and lastly prideful religious people who are "guides" to the blind. There is no category for one who has fully "arrived" nor is completely "righteous." Only Jesus alone is holy, perfect and righteous. I can deceive myself and think I belong in the same category as Jesus but I don't and neither does anyone else. This is not to be something to be ashamed of. It should be humbling, knowing that only Jesus alone can credit me his righteousness as a gift and he alone can justify me by faith alone in him and what he has accomplished. No one can do anything to be right with God. I don't have to try harder. I don't have to be better. I can rest alone in the work of Jesus calling me his child and crediting me, as the most wonderful gift, his righteousness.
My greatest sin? Pride & self-righteousness! Thank you Lord that you even died for me, a self-righteous, prideful religious person who has always loved you but hasn't always needed you. Please forgive me and make me new. Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment